Thursday, June 2, 2011

M-audio CX5 approved by my ears!



So one of my M-audio BX5a's started crackling. Since they were only $300 for the pair I started looking for a replacement. My mind was on Yamaha but when I spoke to my Sweetwater rep he pointed to the M-audio CX5's which were being discontinued and were on clearance for the same price I paid for the BX5a's. I didn't want to go back with M-audio because I didn't have the BX5a's long before they started acting up. I'm a sucker for a deal so I went ahead and picked up the CX5's.

First thing I noticed when I set up the new monitors were that they were noticeably larger than the BX5a's, and sexier. The rear volume has a nice center detent for easy level matching. Eq setting on the back allow you to adjust low, mid, and high frequencies. When I first powered them on the first thing I noticed was that the phantom center was right in my face. Even though the monitors are sitting on my desk I can hear the stereo image much better than the BX5a's. For $149 each these monitors were a steal and I love them!

Turns out my BX5a had blown a capacitor and was easily repaired with new caps and a little solder. Haven't decided what to do with my now extra pair of monitors, but they aren't going back on my desk as my B monitors as long as I have the CX5's.

1 comment:

  1. I've been eying the CX5, so it's nice to hear actual producers & engineers doing work on them.

    ReplyDelete