Tuesday, March 20, 2012

3 Ways to Spot an Amateur Engineer's DAW Session


3 Ways to Spot an Amateur Engineer’s DAW Session

3 ways to tell if your DAW session is professional or amateur. If you fall victim to any of the following then consider doing these in your next session and watch your sessions become more efficient. Also your mix engineer will thank you.

  1. Not labeling your tracks - This is the biggest one. When I get a session that has audio 1, audio 2, audio 3, etc I send it back to the artist or engineer that sent it to me, or I charge extra to label the tracks myself. As a mix engineer in my opinion its not my job to label your tracks, and by doing so it takes time away I can spend mixing. Labeling your tracks will keep your session organized, and good organization means more time, and more time equals more money.
  2. Session is at the default tempo of 120 bpm - Having the correct tempo in a session is good for two reasons. 1. Its makes it extremely easy to copy and paste hooks through out the song and move verse’s around. Without the correct session tempo you will be stuck nudging tracks around trying to get them placed properly. 2. With the correct tempo the mix engineer will be able to set up tempo based effects like delays.
  3. sends and buses not labeled - This one, like not labeling your tracks, has to do with organization. If you set up a headphone mix or reverb bus for the artist, do yourself a favor and name it. After a couple of sends it can get confusing on which sends are sent where.

These three steps will help speed up your sessions in the studio. I was assisting on a recording session one day and the lead engineer told me to turn down the send of the reverb on the vocal. I go to do it and there were four sends set up on the vocal........unlabeled. So now instead of going right to the reverb I have to play process of elimination to find the reverb send. And trust me, the longer you take to do something in the studio, the more the artist or client can start to wonder or assume you don’t know what the hell your doing. If you ordered at a fast food restaurant and the cashier took 10 minutes poking around the register trying to put in your simple order what would you think? You’d first think what is taking so long, then you’d assume they didn’t know what they were doing. Its the same way in the studio with a client  for the time. Your behind the register and they are giving you their order.

No comments:

Post a Comment